18 August 2008

Trying to get others on the Green Movement

I have really been on the whole green kick lately. The city I live in is a bit behind...Years to be more precise. Hallandale Beach, FL only picks up paper recyclables from residences and condo buildings. They do however offer 3 satellite stations that other recyclables (plastics, glass, and metals) can be dropped off at. Here is a pic of the closest one to where I live, Three Islands.

I convinced our building to get some new bins and post some signage in our laundry rooms to see if we could do a better job. The bins I ordered were a great deal and the signs turned out pretty slick after I got them laminated.

The only thing is that the residents aren't picking everything very quick. It's either that I spelled everything out too much and made things too complicated, they can't read, or just don't care. For years they have put all recyclables into the old bins only to be thrown into our building dumpster each morning by our maintenance man. The worst thing is that many of the residents actually thought they were recycling.

I thought about putting together additional flyer's to give to everyone explaining the new program, but didn't want to waste all of the paper (defeating the purpose of the whole thing).

If everyone in our building really recycled all of their paper goods, we'd have less trash and save money that way...in addition to doing our part for the environment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Proud of you buddy...