17 August 2008

Nexxt Cafe

My brother was craving a burger yesterday for lunch so we drove south. We were headed towards a great spot in North Miami (Kingdom), but he wanted a bigger atmosphere with a better opportunity for people watching. We ended up on Lincoln Road headed towards one of the more bar oriented establishments, but were not satisfied with the menus upon arrival. Our decision was to stick with Nexxt Cafe, as I have had many good experiences there before and consider Nexxt a staple of the beach.

Surprisingly, they weren't packed to the gills like usual. They were busy, but multiple tables were open (see the pic). After waiting about 5-10 minutes, a waitress came over. We were ready to order by then...and both asked for iced teas. My brother ordered the classic burger and I ordered the Navajo Fried Bread sandwich. Our wait seemed like forever. Our waitress came over about 15-20 minutes later and checked with my brother to confirm the type of cheese he ordered. This clued us in to the fact that something was going on. After waiting several more minutes I asked her if our food was about up and she went to check...and came back to tell us about 5 more minutes. My objective here isn't to exaggerate, but our wait was definitely 30+ minutes. And this was a surprise for me as I have always had good experiences at Nexxt.

Our entrees finally came and at least they we looking good. The cheeseburger came with some undesired sauted mushrooms and onions, but we were so hungry, those just ended up on the side. My flat bread sandwich was great. The bread had a Taco Bell Chalupa taste, but 10 times better, both aestically and by taste. It had huge slices of avocado and everything was glued together with the perfect amount of cheese. I strived to eat the whole thing, but Nexxt has portion sizes for ARMY men. Not to say I can't eat a lot, but I was only able to finish about 90% of the sandwich. One thing I always wonder about when dining there is the food waste. Ohhh. The fries were great too. I asked for a side of barbeque sauce since I hate ketchup. Their portions are so ginormous. Even if nearly everyone takes a 'doggy bag' home, there still must be literally tons of food thrown out. Hopefully they give it away to bums or compost it somehow.

Even though we were very disappointed by the service, the food made up for everything. I'll definitely be back. I guess all we needed was some updates and some real expectations set. Maybe something like, "I never put your order in, Sorry, but I asked for it to be rushed though." Or, "We're still grinding the meat for your burger, it is going to be another 20 minutes."

No comments: