27 August 2008

14th Avenue public parking

Parking is really tight where I live in Hallandale. All of the surrounding condo buildings have between 30-70 units each and pretty much every building allocates only one parking space for each unit. That used to be good enough when all of the buildings were 55+ only. Nowadays visitor and extra parking is hard to come by at most locations on my street. Mainly because everyone is so lazy to walk 1 block.

So...what's my point? An entire strip of 14th Avenue a block away recently started getting repaved. Some of us locals got excited to learn not only was the city going the extra mile to make this street a lot nicer, they were obviously going to have to re-line the street as well. For the past years (at least the one and a half that I've lived here) many locals pulled in straight since it was more or less a free for all. That allowed for at least 80 spots up and down the street. I guess it may have been a bit dangerous when backing up onto the road. Sure enough, the city lined all of the spaces available to be parallel parking just the other day. My pics to the left were taken mid-project so you can only see some lines.

Well, the street and parking spaces do look nicer, they provide for better safety, and obviously prevent door dings. But we only ended up with about 40 spots. It would have been a lot nicer if they took a look around to see how many cars there are and gave us the 80 we need now or are going to need since the neighborhood is continuously getting younger. But I guess I can't complain all that much since there is free public parking and it's now clearly lined.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so elequently stated, and great pix! I live on 14th ave and have hosted my book club and various get togethers in my bldg on 14th ave. I could always brag "plenty of free parking" but now sadly, with all the painting and restrictive parking, there are 4 spots in front of my bldg where before could fit 10 cars! Diagonal parking would have been much more accomodating. Now there are so many restricted areas all along 14th ave, it is such a waste. I could understand if the city had the foresight to plant some trees or landscaping, instead of rudementary and inefficient lines in all those restricted painted areas, but why have so much restricted area? Just seems like another time that the city of Hallandale could have left well enough alone. Does everything have to be labeled, painted, regulated, at the cost of freedom??? Who designed the painting scheme? A local towing company? Surely this solution benifits nobody but them! I can already feel the frustration and desperation escalating in my neighborhood as people will have to park way down at Winn Dixie when they visit, and then have their cars towed.