10 August 2008

Green Signature: Please consider the environment before printing this email.

If you use email to communicate personally or at work, you have probably seen the closing line “Please consider the environment before printing this email”. Well warranted in today’s society of people wasting so much.

Have you tried to implement this pleasant green request by copying and pasting the tag line in your email signature and had problems? If you haven’t figured it out, the trick is that the graphic before the line of text is a character in the Webdings font. It’s actually the capital letter “P”.

So type out or copy the text section in the font of your choice. Then go back to the front and type a capital “P”, highlight it and change the font to Webdings. Lastly make it all the color green. Vioala!

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

(If you can't view the Webdings image above and you are using Firefox it's because Firefox doesn't render Webdings and other symbol fonts by default. You can modify the fonts available so it works. Check out this article for instructions --> click here.)



Please let me know if these instructions worked for you; or if you have any additional tips to add this more efficiently.  :)




Other Search Keywords:  alternative, optional, tagline, trees, salutation, closing, road, ending,

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can do this cool green message in any email message I compose but I cannot get it into my signature such that it would appear automatically on every message. My Outlook Express doesn't have an option for adjusting the font in the "signature" feature.

mmakis said...

Can you create an image of the tagline and insert it that way? ...it's been a while since I used Outlook Express.

Anonymous said...

did y'all come up with an answer as to how to put this line into the automatic signature in Outlook Express?

I would like to add this to all three of my signatures (I choose the appropriate signature based upon which clients I am emailing)

Thanks!

mmakis said...

I don't have access to Outlook Express currently. Try incorporating our thoughts here with the instructions found in this article and let us know.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie6/using/howto/oe/personalize.mspx#EFG

Anonymous said...

Stupid politically correct bullshit if you ask me.

campaign said...

This site - thinkbeforeprinting.org - has info about how to do this too and they have free graphical versions if you can't make the font trick work with webdings for reason.

They're also encouraging people to put it in documents and on web pages!

Anonymous said...

I think a balanced approach is healthy. I put this message in my signature:

 Trees are a renewable resource. Please support the paper industry by printing this email.

Anonymous said...

Why does my printer always spit out TWO pages? One with the actual e-mail (yay!) and one page only reading this stupid line of text? I'm sorry but you're completely missing the point: instead of printing LESS, I end up printing even MORE. Well-thought out paper-industry marketing stunt?

I really lol'ed reading Anonymous' post above me ^_^ So true!

mmakis said...

You'll have to review the spacing and formatting before and after what you have pasted in as a 'green' signature. It sounds like you have some extra spacing, but it's hard to say without knowing any more than you have stated.