12 September 2008

SEC fans unite for good reason...your thoughts?

I was at a beach barbeque party a week ago and ended up in a conversation that I have been in before. It was regarding why SEC fans support other SEC teams. The guy I was talking with couldn't understand why I wanted Tennessee to win against UCLA. And referenced how he always likes other conference teams to lose (not an SEC fan).

It's just natural for me...and most of my Gator friends. I don't agree, but I understand his point. And I also understand where he was coming from. Especially since the Gators face off against the Vols next week.

I'd be lying if I said I haven't had this conversation before. So let's break it down. The SEC is the best NCAA football conference in the land. You can't be the best conference without all or many of the teams being great...that's just the start. If you want your team to continue to have a high ranking, they have to beat highly ranked teams. And if 6 of your annual games are within conference, and if you can win 5 or 6 of those, you make it into the SEC championship, and by that time, you'll be in a hefty bowl game. Make sense?

If you are playing multiple in-conference teams that are unranked, wins just don't stack up as much as wins against highly ranked opponents.

And at the end of the day, SEC pride is where it's at. I have the luxury of having a great circle of friends and a few of us made a decision to do the full SEC tour to get a better feel for the conference. Let me tell you...it's been great and I wish we started earlier. So far we have been only been to a couple, Auburn and Mississippi. This year's road trip destination is Fayetteville to watch the Gators take on the Razorbacks.

I have left the Florida/Georgia game out of the conversation as it is in Jacksonville and I've been to the Cocktail Party 7 out of the last 9 years. Eventually I will have to go and watch Georgia play someone else between the hedges to complete the full dozen.

Let me know what you think. Do you have conference pride? Do you want your fellow conference teams to win? Of course, when it comes to the end of the season and another team's success affect your team's post season prospects, I know that no one roots for them in that situation.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested to try these new Blogger templates as your blog template. There are many selections you can try and you can use your own header image. They're much easier to customize than other templates.

Anonymous said...

I agree...not a lot of people understand SEC pride.
I've had to explain to my pop why I would be rooting for LSU or Alabama at times. He doesn't get, must be an SEC thing!