07 September 2008

Gators finally beat the "U"

It was nice to see the Gators finally conclude who currently controls the state of Florida in college football this past Saturday night. Being a sports fan, I am objective enough to admit that the University of Miami has had our number for some time. 23 years to be exact. I didn't get to see every play of the game but I did see some that mattered.

All of that said, the Hurricanes will surely be a force to be reckoned with in the next two seasons, if not sooner. I was very disappointed to see Randy Shannon's immediate reaction to the loss on the field. The mid-field hand shake between Urban Meyer and Coach Shannon was not even a shake, I'd call it a hand slap. I don't know if there has been previous bad experiences or if Shannon was just pissed that Florida kept putting up points in the 4th quarter. On some levels I could see that the final points may have been inappropriate, but as far as I'm concerned, long overdue.

I've been tired of the Canes and their fans for many years. I personally was happy with the 4th quarter score run up and was even more happy that we beat the bloated Vegas spread of 21+. Not to mention how nice it was to see Murphy backing up his mouth with his touchdown.

Even though this will help solidify our reign within the state, I hope we don't start picking up loud mouth athletes that the "U" is so famous for.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked Pat Dooleys article.
I totally agree with Meyer giving the kicker some game time experience. Especially when you next opponent is a wounded dog like Tennessee at the moment. Shannon is a whinny hypocrit.

mmakis said...

Another article backing Meyer's decisions: http://herald.com/1261/story/679737.html

Anonymous said...

By the way if kicking a field goal in the last few minutes hurts recruiting. How bad does having a whinny, sniffling coach affect recruiting.