02 January 2011

additional political thoughts

I tossed a couple of my political ideas into the hot coals of New Year's Eve spent with some great friends.  And out came some validation of my thoughts along with a few more ideas to share. 

How to Cook 101
Why is Home Economics something I remember from the past and not the highlight of a middle or high school curriculum?  Being able to cook and feed yourself should be something that every American is forced to learn as well as a graduation requirement confirming the basic skills necessary to feed themselves.  Cooking with a microwave and buying fast food just doesn't count.

And similarly, where have the financial education, basic checking account balancing, and budgeting skills gone?  Is this maybe one of the reasons why so many are in debt?

Eliminating Income Taxes
I don't know what rock that I have been under but this idea was great.  Changing the way that taxes are collected.  Eliminate all income taxes and jack up the sales taxes to bring in the same money.  This would allow people to actually keep everything that they earn and tax consumption instead.  Illegal foreign workers and those earning unreported cash would all be captured by this approach.  Families that produce what they need on their own would barely be taxed while those that continue to buy and waste would start footing the bill.



Note:  I am not trying to claim these ideas as original or to be my own.  Merely just to talk about them.

No comments: