03 June 2009

Ollie's Trolley

I finally got around to eating lunch at Ollie's Trolley in Louisville, Kentucky. Or I guess I should say that I bought a burger there and ate it down the street at a table outside a local university. You can tell as you drive by that there is some history with Ollie's. Go to the website if you want all that. I'm going to speak to the food.

Well, when we got there a bit before noon there was a line out the door and down the stairs. But that is because only 3 to 5 people can fit inside at a time. You order at one window and pick up your brown bag a few feet over. I ordered an Ollie Dressed with cheese which included special sauce, pickle slices, lettuce, tomato, and onion. The regular Ollie burger only comes with sauce. The person I went with recommended the fries...and to order them extra spicy, so we did.
I'd have to say the fries were the best part. They had a cajun type salt mixture that I'd slate in between a Montreal steak seasoning, Zataran's Creole Seasoning, and my own rub, which is currently called Field Green's Blackening Spice. I only have 1 supporter of the name out of many fans of the rub. I'll get to that someday. Oh, the best part about the spice on the fries was the fennel. Small pieces of fennel.

The burger was okay and I'll most likely go back. Not much taste and they are all cooked medium well. Not to placed in my current top 10, but the experience floats it up a bit. The flat top griddle they were working with was filled with meat. There was only enough room for grease to bubble up in between. Anyways, good times as usual in Louisville.

And here are my current top ten burgers...(that I have devoured)

Le Tub - Hollywood, FL
Stage Left - New Brunswick, NJ
Radius - Boston, MA
Father's Office - Santa Monica, CA
Miller's Bar - Dearborn, MI
Kingdom - Miami,FL
Shake Shack - New York, NY
Red Coat Tavern - Royal Oak, MI
301 Bistro - Louisville, KY
Upper Deck Ale & Sports Grill - Hallandale Beach, FL

Ollie's slides in at 30 of the 35 that I have kept track of since I started ranking them a few years back.

No comments: